Saturday, July 26, 2003

I am at a crucial point in my marathon of conciousness now. I have just finished my 12 hour shift at the stadium, which gave me plenty of time to read. I am in the middle of two books now, and I should be able to finish them by the end of the weekend.

Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser is a much different book than I thought it would be when I picked it up, but it's not all that bad. When I read it, I can only imagine Michael Moore, except instead of bitching about gun culture, he's bitching about french fries. The book has the exact same feel of the loveable communist that Moore develops in his books and films, and I really can't say as it's a bad thing. It certainly doesn't change any of my attitudes towards fast food, all it does is paint some grizzly pictures of how evil the corporations behind the companies can be. Yeah, apperantly Ray Krock is the new Satan. Quoted in the book, the man says of his business practices, "if I find an opponent drowning, I'll likely stick a hose in his mouth".

It's not all that surprising to me that Sensei says something to the same effect when describing how our opponents should feel in combat.

The other book I'm reading is by Ninjutsu Grand Master Masaaki Hatsumi. It's a large collection of quotes from him, regarding any and all topics regarding the martial art. Largely, I had no idea that he could be so funny. I always thought of him as an stern little old man, but as it turns out, he almost embodies the stereotype of the old japanese pervert in so many cartoons. It really is hilarious to read how he compares a mans sword to parts of the anatomy, and even more hilarious to think about how the translator must have laboured to find a suitable translation that could be published. Great stuff, all in all. I can't wait to eventually meet the man in person. I expect that it will take a few years, but I intend to have my technique validated by him when I fell that I'm ready.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home