Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Halloween was great, just ask anybody who was there. I don't want to talk about that though. I want to review the movie I Heart Huckabees.

The reviews I had heard from others was definitly mixed. Some called it the most random comedy of the year, some walked out halfway through. I can understand why this film is getting mixed reviews, because I believe your enjoyment of it is based solely on your receptiveness to certain philisophical principles.

I don't want to spoil anything for you guys, because I think that you'd all enjoy it. I do however want to point out one aspect of the movie that I found very interesting. Throughout the film, and in one scene in particular, our protagonists adamantly reject the terms "hero" and "philosopher", which I like because such terms rob us of our individual responsibility to act heroic and ask important questions. Also, no matter how close to buzzing the philisophical principles of Buddhism and Taoism, the word religion is not mentioned once, except to make a cheap-shot at Christianity, which I thought was hilarious. It's funny, it's well done, and it makes you think. See this movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home