Saturday, January 01, 2005

2005
The new year always seems to annoy me. The news-pappers go into ridiculously in-depth reviews of stuff that was already oversensationalized when it actually happened.

"Remember Janet Jackson, and how she completely changed our lives? And by that we mean we just shoved it down your throats until it was all you could talk about. Remember that?"

I don't want to review last year. I know what happened, and I don't need to dwell on it. I'd rather focus my energy on making 2005 kick ass. It's like I was saying to Colm earlier tonight. Take my love-life for example. An absolute disaster zone. No positive stories can be made from 2004 in this respect. Funny stories perhaps, but nothing I can feel particularily proud of.

But that was 2004. It's January 1st, 2005 now, and things are already looking better. Even if my date today turns out badly, I know that things will be better. I'm older, wiser, and know that there's nothing shitty in my life that I don't have the direct power to change myself. If I think that something in my life is shitty, I will drop it like a hot rock. There are only 365 days this year, and I don't plan on spending a single one feeling sad about how the last 365 days could have been better.

I know that they're hokey, but I have a New Years Resolution. To paraphrase Deathcab For Cutie: I won't sit and wonder about every love that could've been, if I'd only thought of something charming to say.

Happy New Year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home