Saturday, February 05, 2005

Redux

To start, let me comment on the albums that I lent Ryan last week. I'll agree that Rufus Wainwright's Want Two isn't great. I'm a much bigger fan of the pop sound he perfected in Poses. As for the Rushmore Soundtrack, I can see why you'd be surprised, what with me being a known enemy of classic rock. I think the difference can be found in two factors. The first is context, being that listening to the album makes me think of the movie, which still stands in my Top 5 of All Time list. The second factor is that I have never heard any of the soundtrack on the radio. Ever. It's as new to me as it would have been when the recording were first released. It's not like the ancient U2 or Beatles (shudder) albums that still maintain airwave saturation. Fuck, they don't play any Cat Stevens now that he's a known terrorist.

Concerning the big debate that is forming, I'd like to chip in my two cents, in the form of an open letter to the middle and upper classes:

Dear Middle and Upper Class,

Shut the fuck up.

Your pal,
Tay

Stop complaining about criminals with law degrees, or criminals that get themselves educated, or how your tax dollars are spent. I will let you in on a little secret.

There are worse things to do with your life than to be a criminal. There are worse things than robbery, extortion, and murder. For example, you could waste your entire life complaining about these people, and contribute to a system that does nothing but generate more of these degenerates. If people really wanted to change things, really wanted to overhaul the system in a way that would eliminate the need for crime, it would happen overnight. The fact of the matter is that you're all too complacent to do a damned thing about it.

You may have noticed that I mentioned a need for crime. That's due to the systems need for a lower class. We can't all be middle class; what the hell would they call it then? The Only Class? No, the truth is that without poor people, the system would collapse.

So with a system based on disparity, crime follows by nature. They are playing the exact same game that you are, they just have a slightly different role. Really, the whole thing boils down to this question: would you rather be poor, and more apt towards criminal activity, or would you rather be less poor yet take on the relatively small chance of being victimized by a poor person?

As for criminals in prison taking the oppurtunity to better themselves through education, what the fuck is wrong with you? Do you think that staring at a wall for 10 years of your waking life will rehabilitate you? Of course not, you'll go fucking nuts! Structure and discipline are the only viable ways we have to rehabilitate criminals, and education has heaping loads of that crap. It's either that or the military, and you probably don't want to see these guys with guns.

Ryan, I think you just convinced me. I'm not voting anymore. I don't want to complain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home