Thursday, March 31, 2005

For 50 Points...

Can somebody please tell me what the time signature is for Death Cab For Cutie's song Lightness is? Is it 4/4 or is it 3/4? Maybe I'm a total newb for not being able to tell the difference, but I can count out both time signatures at the same time, and they both work out. If it was any other band, I would just say it's 4/4 and be done with it, but Death Cab has done several songs in 3/4 before.

I watched an episode of Sex and the City the other day. Needless to say, I wasn't really impressed, as I fall way outside of it's target demographic. It did give me an idea on how to retool the concept of the show to be more appealing to men though.

Picture this: a show about 4 classy guys who drink martinis and talk about sex a lot, and have sex a lot. However, where as in the For Ladies show the main cast obsesses over shoes and crap: car chases. Such a concept could sprout classic lines such as:

"Baby, having sex with you in my car has been great, but now I have to go chase this other car with my car."

or

"The sex with her was okay, but I just can't be with a woman who doesn't appreciate car chasing!"

Think about it.

11 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Blogger Cara-bellum said...

Ummmm.... I think it's in a slowish 4/4. Quarter note = 72 or 80 maybe? The hard snare hits would be on beats 2 & 4. I guess you could divide each beat into 3 (the top hat hits do that, I think), and then it would be in a really fast 3/4. It'd be strange to do it that fast, considering how mellow the song is. Unless I'm just not hearing a slower 3/4 that is happening.

This is mostly conjecture. Perhaps I should have kept my mouth shut until after I listen to the whole song, instead of the 16 sec. clip on Amazon. Well, too late now!

As for Manly Sex in the City... well, maybe the concept would fly if the chicks got in on the race with their crotch rockets. Yeah, that's hot. Wait, did that sound totally gross?

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger jon said...

4/4 72bpm

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Cara-bellum said...

Oh Snap! =)

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger jon said...

Yup, good call

I see where the 3/4 comes from, cause the hi hats are doing triplets but the main beat is definitely 4/4 at 72.

Also, I've never seen Sex in the City. I've seen promos when I watch Seinfeld on TBS and I think that's enough. Definitely looks like it needs some car chases, that's for sure.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Cara-bellum said...

Ha ha, I said top-hats. How embarrassing.

Lots of things need more car chases. And crashes. Like, in Gladiator, when dude's chariot goes into the wall.... that should have fucking exploded! Awesome!!!!

 
At 5:59 AM, Blogger Tay said...

Wow, I was totally expecting Adam to be all up ons that trivia. In any case, the definitive answer is much appreciated Jon. Your total points add up to 175 now. Save up, and you can trade them in for... a free car wash? I don't know.

Really, the only reason I said that is because I just won a free car wash.

 
At 6:05 AM, Blogger Tay said...

Upon further review, I think that the points will be split between Cara and Jon 50/50. Hopefully nobody minds, as this is a totally arbitrary system of nonsense.

 
At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am grateful for the revision, or else I woulda been all "why you gotta be like dat?". Foo.

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger OmniTech said...

Hey! What about my points?! Where'd they all go? I totally answered all of your questions with more definity...in my head.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger jon said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger jon said...

A pop song at 120? I never woulda thunkit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home