Friday, April 08, 2005

Music Journalism is Dead

I bought the new Verve Remix album the other day. I know that I've made fun of it's previous iterations before, but I am generally impressed with this offering. My main problem with the series still stands, in that it is a collective circle-jerk over the graves of Billie Holiday and Nina Simone. What makes this album different though is that amatuer hour is now over. Real talent has been signed on, from Diplo to The Album Leaf. If I had one other real complaint with the album, it would be that RJD2's contribution was fairly uninspired. I imagine the conversation went something like this:

Record Label Executive: Hey RJD2, you always use samples that are old as dirt in your songs. Wanna help us out?

RJD2: No.

RLE: Please?

RJD2: Think green mother bitches.

RLE: Right, money. Look, we kind of blew our whole budget signing The Postal Service onto the project. I guess Benjamin Gibbard thinks that he's hot shit now that he's going to be on The OC. What will you do for $500?

RJD2: I will open up ProTools, take a song I made 3 years ago, and remove all distortion and pitch modification effects. Also, if you have any gum on you, I can screw with the drum line a little.

RLE: DEAL!

6 Comments:

At 7:38 PM, Blogger jon said...

First person to guess what song RJD2 recycled gets 50 points! That was really funny Tay, mostly because that's probably pretty close to what actually happened.

 
At 1:31 AM, Blogger Tay said...

Jon, that's ridiculous. 50 points? He barely changed the name of the song to begin with. Also, I think me and you are the only ones who have listened to Deadringer in it's entirety.

I bought a tonne of new CDs today. I'll tell you about them later. I might also talk about Sin City.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Cara-bellum said...

So it wasn't "Rain"? I spent an hour last night trying to find that song. Mostly cuz data coding sucks.
What song was it actually?

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger jon said...

It is "Rain".

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Cara-bellum said...

Dammit! So I wasted another half hour after you told me it wasn't, trying to look for whatever it was... sigh. =)

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger jon said...

I was really tired and my brain sort of fizzled and I'm not sure why I said it wasn't. The song is, in fact, Rain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home