Thursday, September 29, 2005

Maybe ju an' me are amigos

Three new albums dropped this week that I think are worth attention. Blackaliscious' The Craft, Metric's Live it Out, and Wolf Parade's Apologies to the Queen Mary. I've only had the pleasure of listening to the latter though, and I've been itching to review it.

Basically Wolf Parade has been the most hyped-up indie group ever. After making sure that every pirate in the world had a copy of their self-titled teaser EP, the buzz was just too much to contain. Even the iTunes music store was taking preorders for this debut release. Pitchfork retards consider this to be the second coming of the Velvet Underground, or Jesus even. And to be fair, the EP was pretty good. I've been looking forward to this album for a while now, albeit not with the chronic boner that others seem to have for these guys.

Well, the album's out and now we can all judge for ourselves as to it's quality. While I would say that it doesn't live up to the hype, that's not saying much. Nothing could. Jesus could float down from the clouds to approach such hype, and the gathered crowds would whisper something like "I thought he would be taller".

But it's really good. It's certainly made my list for top 10 albums of 2005. I've been thinking for two days now how to describe the fractured anthems found on this disc. I thought that I might try to make comparisons to the obvious influences of Interpol, Modest Mouse, The Watchmen, and The Unicorns, but then I thought of a much easier way:

Simply take The Arcade Fire. Give the band a bottle of ritalin, and give the lead singer a bottle of Wild Turkey. Then have Isaac Brock (Modest Mouse) produce it. That's Wolf Parade.

6 Comments:

At 7:35 AM, Blogger Tay said...

Fuck, did I say The Watchmen? I meant to say The Walkmen. That could have been embarassing.

Also, it occurs to me that these guys are from Montreal, so I wouldn't feel as pretentious if I listed Hot Hot Heat among their influences.

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Cara-bellum said...

I thought it seemed wrong that I had actually heard a song from one of the bands you'd listed! :)

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Tay said...

Yes!!! My music jounalism is not accesible to the common man... or lady. Now I know that it's a success. I am the biggest jerk ever.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger jon said...

Never heard of Wolf Parade but then again I'm not into the indie rock thing as much as you

The Craft, however, is fucking excellent. Gab & The Chief have pretty much done it again. Just like Blazing Arrow, I think it's a CD that you can give to someone who doesn't necessarily like hip hop all that much and they'll still like The Craft.

Big ups on the Achewood reference. Say, ju prolly wonner why ketchup can clean off a penny!

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Ryan Alvin Tang said...

Calvin's had the damn album on loop for weeks now. Same with the new J5 single, I think.

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger jon said...

Well, it's really damn catchy.

SUH-PREME! (wikawikawikawika) SUH-PREME! (wikawikawikawika)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home