Monday, March 06, 2006

Downtown Dining Week 2 - Return to the Island of Dr. Downtown Dining Week

So Escoba was a pretty good time. I wasn't especially thrilled by the food as such, but it did provide some excellent conversation. All too often in sushi menus I find little variety between each restaurants. For all intents and purposes, they may as well be clones of each other. What Escoba did well was to create some sushi-themed dishes that could do well to spice up the variety in what has come to be a tired dining experience. There was the ahi tuna salsa with shrimp chips that made me think of an almost Japanese form of nachos, and for her entree Chelsea enjoyed a raw fish salad with what I believe to be some kind of creamy tarragon dressing. All in all, very cool stuff. I had some kind of sundried tomato shrimp spaghetti deal which was good, but not really worth writing home about.

The real deal came at dessert, where Escoba's signature sweet, The O.M.G., was revealed. Chocolate drizzled over another chocolate, inside of which was stuffed some other third kind of chocolate. OMG indeed. Also enjoyed was the peach cobbler, although I have to assume that the chef had since run out of peaches, and cleverly substituted molten lava instead.

For some film enjoyment after the meal, I became one of the last people on earth to see The Ring. While I have to admit that for the most part this was a well-designed thriller (they kind of screwed up the pacing for their "surprise" ending), asking me how I felt about this movie is like asking a kid, allergic to peanut butter, what he thinks of your mom's Snickers Pie. In his final breath, he may very well inform you that it is indeed delicious, but what good has it done him? I don't like horror movies.

2 Comments:

At 4:39 PM, Blogger Tay said...

You ain't kidding, lady. I will admit that the story was intreguing enough for me to go and read the spoiler for the movie's sequel, which sounds like a real load.

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Cara-bellum said...

Oh shit, that movie! I still sometimes wonder when I walk into my appartment at night: What would I do if the TV just TURNED ON!!!!

Probably keel over and die. In 7 days. I don't know.

Chelsea: Though I've never met you, I want to tell you that I dig the new haircut & the bangs. They be a-rockin'. (I am assuming you got a haircut semi-recently? One can only tell so much from the Flickr photos...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home