Friday, March 17, 2006

Mango is the new Rassberry

I've been listening to way too much good music lately to not share it with my friends, so here ya go!

Hawksley Workman's new album, A Treeful of Starling, is absolutely addictive. I can't stop myself from going back and listening to it again and again. Rather than any kind of pop-esque folky stuff, Starling is all alt-country, and it's a flavour that suits Hawksley very well. Much better than his latest foray into fashion and style. Yikes. He looks like a candy-assed version of Buck 65. But if you put that aside, his work stands as strong evidence of him being Canada's greatest songwriter.

But what is Hawksley listening to? If we're to believe his iTunes Celebrty Playlist, then he's listening to Jay-Z and U2, which boggles the mind. To be fair, his list also includes Grandaddy, Dinosaur Jr, Interpol, and The Roots. Not listed was a band of which he was praising in a recent television interview, Matt Mays and El Torpedo. Their self-titled debut just screams with the spirit of Neil Young. I know that some of my friends are very attached to the classics, and I would urge them to listen to On the Hood. It's good stuff.

Keeping in Canada, we shift our radar back into position over Montreal, the very Hellmouth (how Buffy!) of indie rock. If I had to make a bet as to which Quebec band will be the next to blow, I would have to say that it's Malajube. Their new album, Trompe L'oeil is wicked awesome, even though it's mostly french. I've decided not to hold that against them. After all, if diction and clarity in lyrics were a top priority for me, I would never really enjoy Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, would I? Coincidentally, that band happens to be making it huge in France. Weird.

To end off this week's music rant, I would like all the Wu-Fans out there to either buy or download Think Differently Music Presents-Wu-Tang Meets The Indie Culture. I'm not really up on my law studies, so I can't really say what problems the album name/art might have with things like "fair use" or "public domain". Whatever, it's a rad album. Wu-Tang plays the ambassadors to the indie greats, and it's a wicked ride. Look for MF Doom, Del the Funky Homosapien, Aesop Rock, Cannibal Ox, and a bunch more from the Def Jux label. Check it out.

Also, don't forget! It's St. Patrick's Day, so if you're a pagean or something, the Irish will beat you to death, and then later report that they thought you were a snake or something. To ward off these Irish, the tradition is to buy them a beer, and dress in soothing green colours. Which reminds me, I have nothing green to wear. Shit.

5 Comments:

At 3:50 AM, Blogger Tay said...

Mike, I need to know the source of your awesome Chuck Norris pic there. My wine needs a label, and Chuck Norris needs to be on that label.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Ryan Alvin Tang said...

Are you sure Cannibal Ox is on there? I looking at my copy right now and I ain't seeing it. It is a fantastic album though. FYI: R.A. The Rugged Man has a regular gig writing about film, cinema and such for Mass Appeal magazine.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Ryan Alvin Tang said...

Oh man! Watching Malajube videos is gonna make me late for work - but it's worth it. I am down with that vid for Montréal -40° C.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger jon said...

Ryan, Vast Aire is on track 2 and Vordul Mega is on track 4.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Tay said...

...and Jon wins the name game. Mass Appeal is a pretty rad magazine. They had that one awesome cover a little while back with Ghostface and Doom posing together for an album that I'm almost sure is going to suck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home