Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Revolution is Upon Us (Maybe)

Happy 01:02:03 04/05/06 everyone! The apocalypse didn't come this morning, but I'm crossing my fingers for an afternoon performance. Heck, I might even get up early so as I don't sleep through it.

I've been listening to my advance copy of the new album from The Streets, The Hardest Way to Make an Easy Living, and I'd like to share some thoughts on it. Frankly, I have to say that I'm a bit dissapointed. As is made evident from the album title Mike Skinner can now count himself with Hilary Duff, Britney Spears, and Eminem as artists who want us to pity them for the prices they pay for unimaginable wealth and fame. Fuck off. This change in attitude is an almost 180 degree turn for The Streets, an act that I used to describe as pure hip hop, except for the complete and utter lack of bullshit. But the bullshit gets a bit thick on The Hardest Way, which is quite sad really. This isn't to say that there aren't some real gems to be found on the album. Can't Con an Honest Jon is easily on of my favorite songs this month, as a hilarious instruction guide to pulling off a popular confidence trick.

It would seem that the album is split between Mike's razor-sharp tounge ripping through issues that people can relate to, such as the infinite complications that arise when trying to pull a girl at the bar, and issues that are retardedly self-indulgent, such as sleeping with coke-head pop stars and dealing with the paparazzi. Everything else you would expect can be found on the record; the production is pure garage genious, and the chorus' are still lazily constructed as if having been imagined on the spot.

I gave Adam a copy of the album, and he's a fan too, so I'm curious to hear what he thought of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home