Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Tuesdays are Good Days

What's not to like about Tuesdays? The Onion joys me with the latest in fake news, and all the new albums come out. This week was pretty decent, weighing more heavily in volume than outstanding quality though. Allow me to share:

Red Hot Chili Peppers released their new double-album Stadium Arcadium to much buzz and hoopla. Those hoping for a full-fledged return to the psychobilly days of Blood Sugar Sex Magik may be a bit dissapointed though, this album reeks of Californication. I don't think that's a bad thing though, I loved that album. My fanboyism for the band has since wained though, so I can't begin to guess how this album will stack up in the long run. It doesn't suck, that's for sure.

Owen Pallett, AKA Final Fantasy has released his second full-length album, and rounds out his sound in a good way. While unfortunately titled, He Poos Clouds adds some interesting elements to an already obscure violin based whisper-pop deal. Check out Song Song Song, it's a really good song (song song). This album has yet to grow on me, right now I think that I prefer the bare bones Has a Good Home debut.

Snow Patrol and The Stills have new material now, titled Eyes Open and Without Feathers respectively. There's not much surprising about these albums really, just more of the same from some really catchy bands. Snow Patrol has done something interesting though, and that is to show Martha Wainwright what her purpose is, musically speaking. She needs to be in a band. Her solo act is boring as all hell, but her duet on Set The Fire To The Third Bar is really something.

Screamo rockers Thursday turn it down half a notch for A City By The Light Divided, making them more of a yell-mo band... I guess. To be honest, now I can't tell the difference between them and The Cardinal Sin, another emo band drawn randomly from a pool of thousands. I suppose that when you download torrents haphazardly, you run the risk of listening to loud crap. Oh well, live and learn. I still like Understanding In A Car Crash though, I don't care what anybody says.

Ryan spoke briefly of Gnarls Barkley, and I wanted to chip in my two cents. I think that St. Elsewhere is a pretty fantastic album, but the fact that this is exactly the kind of album that Outkast would do really damages my ability to enjoy it. I'm really excited that RJD2 and Danger Mouse are going head to head for Best Producer of 2006. Let's wait for the singles and remixes before we make any judgements though.

No, I would have to say that my favorite album this week is Fox Confessor Brings The Flood, from Neko Case. Why? Because it's Neko Case, and she's smoking hot. That's why.

So what am I looking forward to? Next week sees the release of Broken Boy Soldiers from The Raconteurs, the latest superband to hit the streets. Comprised of Jack White, Brendan Benson (my favorite non-Canadian songwriter), with Jack Lawrence and Patrick Keeler (The Greenhornes, really good blues for you there Ryan), this promises to be one hell of a good time.

Sorry for wasting your time, please come back later when maybe I'll write words on an intranet about things that are interesting for you.

4 Comments:

At 6:44 PM, Blogger Ryan Alvin Tang said...

Won't the remixes be more telling of the guys who remix them and far, far less of the producers that did the original tracks? When I heard the Diplo remix of Nina Sky from his FabricLive record I thought it was awesome, but that says a lot more about his killer DJ skills than it does about the greatness of Nina Sky's generic pop blandness.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Tay said...

As usual, Kyle is right. After taking his advice and listening to Wolfmother, I feel that I owe him an apology, so here goes:

Kyle, I'm sorry that I can't get as excited about a Led Zepplin cover band as you can.

I'm joking of course, but it is odd how the two bands incite the exact same imigary in my mind; Drinking mottled wine from a jewel-encrusted goblet, wearing the pelt from some forest beast that I killed with my bare hands, feasting upon a leg of smoked unicorn. (See also: Coheed & Cambria's Welcome Home)

Oh, and I was able to get an advanced copy of that Raconteurs album. The verdict? (Jack) White Hot Shit. Pick it up.

 
At 1:55 AM, Blogger Tay said...

I'm not saying that I despise it, quite the opposite really. It's a great balls-out rock album. Just not something I would normally seek out, that's all.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Cara-bellum said...

1. Yay preppy pseudo-rock!!!
2. Neko Case is 35?!?! Hot damn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home