Monday, June 12, 2006

Literature, Bitches!

I've been reading a lot lately. Some good stuff too. Ryan, being the more well-read in our friendship, lent me Miyamoto Musashi's The Book of Five Rings. It's the autobiography of a total badass, wherein he explains how he is a badass, and more or less glosses over the parts in his life when he actually is a badass. When you think about, how badass is that?

Also on loan from Ryan is Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel. I'll admit, I've not made it much further than the prologue yet, but it's already blown my mind. I expect to read this much quicker than most books that would be suspect as mandatory text for a university general studies course.

I've also got Bret Easton Ellis' American Psycho on the go, but frankly it is not impressing me so far. I can only assume that the protagonist's (???) super-snobby lifestyle is meant to juxtapose his brutal private life, but he hasn't stopped brand name-dropping for long enough to actually get to the interesting part. Spending the first 1/3rd of the book laboring over the annoying-at-best minutia of the main character's obsessions and the italicized nit-pickings of his asshole friends isn't really winning me over as a reader. I get that I'm probably supposed to hate Patrick Bateman and his crew, but really I'm just starting to hate Bret Easton Ellis.

And I recently finished Nick Hornby's High Fidelity. It's exactly like the movie, except british. Frankly, I don't feel as though the change in lexicon was worth the ticket price. I already know precisely what's going to happen. Bollocks.

4 Comments:

At 6:38 PM, Blogger Tay said...

Groan, fine. Due to Kyle's encouragement, I shall press on.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Ryan Alvin Tang said...

Just so you know, I only made it half-way through Guns, Germs, and Steel. It's fairly interesting, but it was still a little dry for my taste.

I wouldnt' mind taking a read through High Fidelity when you're done since I haven't seen the movie yet either.

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger Tay said...

Sure thing man. Tell ya what, You let me hang onto Guns, Germs, and Steel for a little while longer, and I'll give you High Fidelity, as well as return The Book of Five Rings and Flight Volume 1.

 
At 1:51 AM, Blogger Ryan Alvin Tang said...

Guns, Germs, and Steel is yours for as long as you want it. I'll finsih it someday, but I'm in no rush.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home