Sunday, August 20, 2006

Friends Of P, Down With OPP

It's been too long since I've bought any CDs, but I got back into the habit lately, so now I finally have some music to talk about. Let's do it.

My favorite find of recent has to be The Avalanche, a compilation of b-sides from Sufjan Stevens Illinois album. In many ways, this album surpasses it's predecessor. It's blissfully shimmering, and includes some really keen remixes of Chicago, one of my favorite songs from last year. A must have, in my books.

The new G. Love album is really good too. Lemonade is the same funky-fresh G. Love that you've come to know and love, but now he's made some new friends. Blackalicious and Lateef The Truthspeaker show up on the track Banger, and the result is just that. Jack Johnson and Ben Harper also make appearances, but that should hardly come as a surprise.

Be Your Own Pet is a self-titled debut from a band that is hoping that you've never heard of Pretty Girls Make Graves. Utterly unoriginal.

In other music news, Ryan convinced me to go see DJ Cool Herc play at the Amsterdam Rhino, and I'm glad that he did. The acts from beginning to end were stunning displays of skill. The Human Beatbox was particularily entertaining. I always thought that it was Al Gore who invented hip-hop, but now I know better.

2 Comments:

At 9:32 PM, Blogger Ryan Alvin Tang said...

You spell Kool Herc with a "K".

 
At 6:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, even *I've* heard of Pretty Girls Make Graves. Lame!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home