Monday, June 25, 2007

Utter Disappointment

I don't usually write game reviews, but I recently finished a game that I really ticked me off.

Shadow of the Colossus sucks. Never have I suffered through a game so thoroughly, and for almost no point whatsoever. This is what happens when a game has an excellent concept, and some truly groundbreaking gameplay, only to be completely ruined by poor storytelling and directorial laziness.

Being dragged through fight after fight without any exposition whatsoever, the player is led to believe that there must be some huge payoff in the finale. Not so. The ending is so utterly crappy that it would just as satisfying to defeat the final boss and wake up to find that the entire game had been a dream all along. No, instead all I am left with is a proverbial spit in the face, and a horse with a broken leg.

I can't remember if it was Ryan or Kyle who convinced me that this game was worth playing through, but rest assured that I loathe them for this brutal lie.

5 Comments:

At 12:28 AM, Blogger Ryan Alvin Tang said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Remember the time that you got super pissed off at me because I told you that you would hate shadow of the colossus and you took it as an insult?
Well... I told you so.

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What, did you you catch a whiff of the critical and popular aclaim of the entire Ico series and decide arbitrarily to despise it in order to be different? That's not like you at all, dude.

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Ryan Alvin Tang said...

Dude, you played a game, not a story. If the gameplay is fun that should be enough. I remember when "I gotta eat dots and... Oh shit! Ghosts!" was enough of a story. Sigh.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger OmniTech said...

No story!? Just because there wasn't explicit narrative and un-imaginative text that you would probably be slapping the buttons to skip past as quickly as possibly anyway, doesn't mean that it didn't have a story.

The game feels more like a peice of art, or a peom to me. Where you have to gleam the story or idea from what you see, or what your character is doing, rather than text.

And you can't say that you didn't like those boss fights. Those things are fuckin' awesome. When, in any other game out there, have you had such a sense of scale. Where you feel so miniscule.

That being said, I did find it quite boring running from boss to boss with nothing else to do. As for the ending?...Um...I've forgotten what happened. :P

But I don't remember it being a bad game.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home