Tuesday, June 05, 2007

What's Up

Been busy lately, what with the new job, and some new hobbies. I finally got my first customer for Nerdworld Longboards, which is very exciting. Being able to sell things that I make is really cool. Also, I've been cross-stitching lately (really!), so expect to see the fruits of those labours soon-ish.

I'm learning a lot about how banking really works, and what kinds of powers I have when it comes to bending the rules. It's kind of neat, really. I can do all sorts of things that I'm not supposed to, if you know me. Here's a tip if you want me to give you some special treatment at the bank: stop crying. The fact that bounce cheques all the time does not make you look good. Nobody likes a pity story.

I guess that I've been reading and listening to music lately, so why don't I talk about that?

Dan Deacon is a laugh riot. He is some dumpy loser-looking guy from Baltimore that makes the most bizzarely catchy techno. Watch some of his videos: If his gyrating does not make you laugh, I'll give you a dollar (not really).

Stars released a remix CD of Set Yourself on Fire, and it's pretty rad. It features what is more or less a who's who of the Canadian indie scene, most hailing from the Arts and Crafts label. It's called Do You Trust Your Friends, and it's the frontrunner for "Best Remix Album" on my 2007 list. Check it out.

Books are neat. The more I collect, the smarter I look. I got a couple of really smart looking books lately, both on the topic of transhumanism. The first one is Are You a Transhuman? by FM 2030, and it basically reads like a high-minded Cosmo quiz. It's pretty fun and light, and it's a really neat way to get some insights into the mind of this interesting author. I mean, he changed his name to FM 2030. How cool is that? The best part is that because this book was published in the early 90's, we can see which of FM's predictions have come true and which have nosedived. I guess the telefax had some high hopes back in those days.

The other book is called The Singularity is Near, by Ray Kurzweil. It is decidedly chunkier, and fortified with much more protein than FM's book. I haven't finished it yet, but I'm liking it so far. Transhmanism as a concept is very fascinating to me. Go robots, go!

1 Comments:

At 6:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

the singularity has been predicted with a number of mathematical models to occur between 2010 and 2035. So not too much longer to wait until we can all be pampered by our robotic servants, then enslaved. Woohoo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home